Saturday, September 29, 2018

Welcome Baby Ryenn Rose

Hi everyone!
Our baby girl has arrived!
Ryenn Rose.

She was born September 26th at 5:58pm.
She weighs 6 lbs 11 oz and is 18.5 inches long.

She came exactly a week early. Which was shocking to me because I really had this gut feeling she would come late. I'm so happy she came when she did, this way I wasn't 40+ weeks pregnant and totally over it.

Our Birth Story
On Tuesday, September 25, I woke up like it was any other day. I went to work and felt totally normal. I had a lunch meeting with a client and I always walk there. It's a few blocks away from my office so walking is usually easy peasy. As I was walking back from lunch I remember thinking to myself "Wow, this is sort of an intense walk." since walking back was mostly uphill. Well sure enough, an hour after I returned from work I started to feel contractions. It was this cramp like feeling in my stomach and it started coming every 25 minutes. I texted all my mommy friends and asked them if what I was feeling were contractions and they all said it sounded like it!

I came home from work and the contractions were getting even more painful and started coming every 10 minutes. I called my doctor to let her know, and the on-call nurse told me that I didn't need to go into the hospital until they are about 3-5 minutes apart. The rest of the night I stayed home and would log how often I felt the contractions. The entire night the contractions came every 8 minutes and didn't get any faster than that.  I was basically sleeping in 8 minute increments, if that's even possible. I would fall asleep, then wake up 8 minutes later with another contraction, and log the time in my phone. The contractions hurt really bad. I would just cringe and breathe through each one and within seconds it would be done. The pain is pretty awful but I truly believe as women we are strong enough to handle it and we know this is what our body is supposed to be doing, and we just deal with it.

The next morning came and the contractions were closer together at about 5 minutes apart so I knew I could finally go into the hospital. Will and I grabbed my hospital bag, stopped for Starbucks on the way, and headed to the hospital.  I knew I wanted to eat breakfast in case the hospital wouldn't give me any food once I was in labor. We also called our parents to let them know and my mother in law immediately jumped in her car to drive down to Reno. She lives about 3 hours away.

We got to the hospital around 8am and they took me into the first room where they do an initial check to see how dilated you are. The nurse checked me and I was already 5cm dilated!! She seemed surprised that I was already at 5cm.

Soon after they took me to my labor and delivery room and the waiting for baby girl to arrive began.
I handled the contractions without any meds for a few hours. By 12:30 I asked for the epidural and they came in and gave me one. I'll be honest, I was not a fan of the epidural. It caused me to have anxiety (which I hear is totally normal) and I began to cry out of panic of losing the feeling in my legs. My left leg got so numb compared to my right leg and I just got more and more freaked out in my mind that I couldn't move or feel my left leg whatsoever. If I have a second baby, I will opt out of the epidural and deliver naturally. Even though it's going to hurt so bad, I think I'd rather deal with that pain then the panic I felt with the epidural.

Anywhoo....I began pushing right around 5pm with the help of my nurse. In our room was Will, my mom and Will's mom, Bonnie. I hadn't even seen my doctor yet because I guess the doctor doesn't come in until right when you are about to deliver or are fully dilated. I had Will on one side and Bonnie and my mom on the other side. And Will and his mom would help push my legs up every time I went to push. Pushing wasn't so bad. Probably because I couldn't feel anything, I just remember it being uncomfortable because you are folding your body in half and pushing so hard... it's like a work out! The nurse kept hinting that I wasn't doing the best job pushing, so I assumed I would be pushing  for a few hours to get the hang of it. My doctor came in at 5:45pm and told me she wanted to check-in and see how pushing was going and I would probably have to have another doctor deliver the baby because she was off at 6. She said "But let's see how you're doing. Let me see you push."
So I began pushing for her and with the third push I heard Bonnie yelling "The baby is coming!! She's coming!!" Then my doctor shouts "Wait! Stop pushing! I need to put my scrubs on! I'm not ready!!" So in my mind, I stopped pushing and I remember just feeling baby's shoulders just sitting there in me about to come out. I thought I stopped pushing, but since I didn't have a lot of feeling down there I may have kept pushing. Either Ryenn came flying out all on her own! Two nurses who just happened to be walking by and heard the commotion came running in to help. I remember looking up at the ceiling, and there was mirror, and I just saw this little baby laying there.
They cleaned her up quick and asked who wanted to cut the umbilical cord. Will didn't want to because he gets really squimish at that kind of stuff and I knew my mom wouldn't do it, so I asked Bonnie if she wanted to. She hesitated then the doctor said "Or you could do it!" And I said, "Really? Okay!" and I cut the umbilical cord myself!

Next thing I knew they put baby girl on my chest and it was the best moment of my life. Every single one of us was crying. I'm tearing up as I write this.
It's just the most magical moment seeing this tiny baby that you made come from you. It was surreal and magical and just the most amazing feeling I will ever feel.
I held her against my chest and looked at her beauty and I felt so happy.

And that is how baby Ryenn Rose came into this world. We are so in love and she is so beautiful and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.


design + development by kelly christine studio